Cordless vacuum cleaners enable you to clean your home without lugging cords. These lightweight vacuum cleaners offer as much suction power as corded vacuums yet are more portable and maneuverable.
If you are looking for the best cordless vacuum cleaner, we have tested dozens of products to compile the best vacuums in terms of budget, performance, functionality, and battery life. Here are our six best cordless vacuums of 2023.
Best Overall Cordless Vacuum – Dyson v15 Detect Vacuum
We found the Dyson V15 Detect vacuum to be the most powerful cordless vacuum of 2023. But are cordless Dyson vacuums worth it? The brand is well-rated and famous for its excellent designs, advanced features, and powerful suction.
The V15 Detect uses a Laser Slim Fluffy head with a green laser so you can see invisible dirt on surfaces. The green laser boasts fine engineering since human eyes are sensitive to brighter colors. However, the light capability becomes limited when cleaning brightly-lit rooms.
The unit also features a piezo sensor that measures the size of dust particles as acoustic vibrations at 15,000 times a second. The sensor relays this information as electric signals, prompting the vacuum’s motor to adjust its reactive suction power to match the dust levels.
Additionally, the motor offers powerful suction when high dust volumes are detected only to reduce speeds on cleaner surfaces. It can spin up to 125,000 rounds per minute (RPM), making it the cordless vacuum with the best suction power. An LCD screen on the handle shows real-time proof of the collected number of particles.
Accessories included during the purchase are Digital Motorbar Floorhead, Laser Slim Fluffy cleaner head, combination tool, crevice tool, hair screw tool, stubborn dirt brush, and a mini-soft dusting brush.
- Clean bare floors and carpets
- Retains consistent suction power even as the dirtbag fills up
- Motor increases suction pressure when high volumes of dirt are detected
- A green laser illuminates invisible dirt
- Piezo sensor counts and measures dust particles
- The battery offers 60 minutes of runtime on low setting
- LCD screen shows what particles were cleaned
- Quite expensive
Best Budget Cordless Vacuum – Black + Decker Power Series+ Stick Vacuum
Are you looking for the best cordless vacuum under $100? Grab the Black + Decker Power Series + Stick Vacuum.
This cheap cordless vacuum features Autosense Technology to automatically increase or reduce suction power when cleaning different floor types. This innovative feature optimizes runtime, with the battery lasting up to 40 minutes. Plus, the technology enables the vacuum to collect 25% more dirt on carpets than on hard floors.
Moreover, an anti-tangle brush bar conveniently picks hair and dirt from floors. The collected dirt does not affect the vacuum’s performance, thanks to the integrated cyclonic filtration that keeps the filter clean.
The floorhead swivels to different sides with a bright white LED light for deep cleaning. Besides, the stick vacuum converts into a hand vacuum to clean furniture, stairs, and confined spaces.
- Autosense technology adjusts suction power on different surface types
- Cyclonic filtration maintains optimal performance by keeping the filter clean
- Angled floorhead and LED lights enable more dirt pickup
- The upright vacuum has a self-standing design for easy storage
- Front-facing, clear dustbin empties easily
- It easily converts to a handheld vacuum
- Offers up to 40 minutes of battery life
- It has a small capacity bin
- It is difficult to reattach the canister
Best Cordless Vacuum For Hardwood Floors – Shark SV1106 Stick Vacuum
The Shark SV1106 stick vacuum is perfect for cleaning dirt off hardwood floors. Its footswitch has two-speed brush roll settings to transition between hard floor and carpet cleaning.
When you turn on the bare floor setting, the motorized brush spins at a low setting to avoid scratching the floor. Meanwhile, its carpet setting produces stronger suction as the motorized brush spins faster to pick up embedded dirt and pet hair.
The vacuum maneuvers easily around furniture, thanks to the advanced swivel steering and a low-profile nozzle that fits under furniture. Unfortunately, this model is only designed to clean floors and does not feature attachments or accessories.
The .64 quart dust cup has an extra-large capacity to minimize cleaning interruptions. And it is easy to empty from the top and bottom, so you never have to touch the dirt.
- Easy maneuver with a swiveling head and low-profile nozzle
- Two-brush speed settings for cleaning hard floors and carpets
- The battery offers 12 to 17 minutes of runtime and recharges in 4 hours
- Extra-large dirt cup that’s easy to empty
- The charging base works as a storage block
- It weighs 7.5 lbs., which is lightweight and portable
- Its nickel metal hydride battery has a shorter lifespan compared to lithium-ion batteries
- Only cleans floors
Best Cordless Vacuum For Pet Hair – Dyson Animal Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
The Dyson V11 is a top-rated cordless vacuum cleaner for pet hair. Its mini-motorized tool suctions long hair and pet hair from upholstery, while an advanced filtration system traps 99.99% of particles, including 0.3 micron-sized allergens.
The V11 is also a well-rated cordless vacuum for large homes. Its high-torque cleaner head can clean different floor types, with the lithium-ion battery offering up to 60 minutes of runtime. Moreover, the Dyson Load Sensor system (DLS) enables the vacuum’s motor speed to switch to high or low speeds for powerful cleaning automatically.
You can control Dyson’s cleaning settings to Eco, Auto, or Boost modes. Auto-mode cleaning offers a balance between suction power and run time. It senses the dust levels and automatically adapts for extensive cleaning. Eco mode offers more runtime and works across all floor types, while Boost mode is perfect for deep spot cleaning.
This cordless stick vacuum has a low-profile head to pull debris under furniture. And it transforms into a hand vacuum so you can easily clean the sofa, stairs, or car.
- The battery provides 60 minutes of cleaning time on Eco mode
- DLS system senses and adjusts motor speed and suction power
- High-torque cleaner head does not need changing on different floor types
- The filtration system traps 99.99% of pet hair, dander, and allergens up to 0.3 microns
- Stiff nylon bristles collect pet hair from carpet, while the soft-carbon fiber filaments clean crevices and hard floors
- Monitor cleaning mode, filter maintenance, and blockages on the LED display
- Hygienic bin hoots dirt directly into the bin
- Quite expensive
Best Cordless Vacuum with Long Battery Life – Miele Triflex HX1 Pro Battery Stick Vacuum
The Miele Triflex HX1 Pro is the best cordless vacuum stick with long battery life. It comes with two rechargeable Li-ion batteries, each providing 60 minutes of runtime. This means you get 120 minutes of uninterrupted cleaning time, which is enough to clean even large homes.
Also, the Triflex HX1 Pro has an extra-wide cleaning head that cleans larger surfaces in less time. It automatically senses and adapts to different floor types for deep cleaning.
The combination of a powerful electrobrush and Vortex technology provides extreme suction to pick ultra-fine particles, while its bagless bin features a HEPA4 filter that captures 99.999% of the dirt.
Miele’s 3-in-1 design is flexible and robust. You can configure it as an upright with a motor and dustbin attached close to the handle for effortless cleaning in wide areas. Or, use it as a stick vacuum to clean underneath furniture or high ceilings. Alternatively, disassemble the unit into a handheld vacuum for quick cleanups on upholstery or tight spaces.
- Features two exchangeable batteries that last 60 minutes each
- Extra-wide electrobrush covers more ground than other vacuum cleaners
- Works as an upright, stick, and handheld vacuum
- A bright LED light illuminates the dirt
- Vortex technology and electrobrush provide strong suction
- HEPA filter traps ultrafine particles
- Dust container empties easily
- Transforming the upright vacuum to a hand vacuum is cumbersome
- Has difficulty cleaning rugs
- Small dustbin capacity needs frequent emptying
Best Cordless Vacuum on Reddit – Dyson Cyclone V10 Stick Vacuum Cleaner
Going by Reddit cordless vacuum reviews, the Dyson Cyclone V10 is a winner, with users mentioning its effectiveness at cleaning different surfaces while providing sufficient battery runtime.
Engineered with a digital motor, the V10 picks up lodged and fine dirt from low and high pile carpets and hard floors. Its torque drive cleaner head works better on carpets, while the soft roller cleaner head is ideal for hard floors. Collected dirt is trapped in a fully-sealed filtration system to guarantee it does not escape after suction.
This cordless vacuum converts to a hand vacuum for easy and quick spot cleaning or hard-to-reach areas. Users also mention that the battery’s 45 to 60 minutes of runtime suffice for cleaning their homes. And the vacuum offers consistent power even as the battery depletes.
- Two cleaning heads for carpet and hard floor surfaces
- Three power modes when cleaning different floors
- Filtration traps 99.97% of dust and debris
- Transforms to a hand vacuum to clean upholstery and spot cleaning
- Offers 40+ minutes of fade-free power
- Lightweight with a 9.84-inches cleaning path
- 82 dB noise level is relatively high
- The motor on the top design feels heavy on some users’ hands
Factors to Consider When Buying a Cordless Vacuum
Keep these four factors in mind to ensure you get the right cordless vacuum cleaner for your home:
Cordless Vacuum Cleaning Ability
If your home is mainly carpeted, get a vacuum with a motorized brush roll. Avoid a motorized brush roll on hard floors since it causes scratching and damage. Get multi-functional cordless vacuums if your home has different floors.
Cordless Vacuum Battery Life
Cordless vacuums are powered by rechargeable batteries. So, check how long the battery lasts when cleaning to gauge whether it is enough time for you to finish cleaning. Most cordless vacuum batteries last an average of 30 minutes, with the suction power reducing as the battery drains.
Corded vs. Cordless Vacuums
The main differences between corded and cordless vacuums are suction power and flexibility. Corded vacuums have stronger suction since they are connected to a power outlet but moving them around is a chore. On the other hand, cordless vacuums are portable since they rely on rechargeable batteries. They are also lightweight and more maneuverable. However, Gadget Review points out that cordless vacuums produce less suction power.
Upright vs. Stick Cordless Vacuum
Cordless vacuums are either upright or stick vacuums. Upright cordless vacuums offer more powerful suction to deep-clean carpets, rugs, and hard floors. However, they are bulky and require more storage space than stick vacuums.
Stick cordless vacuums are lightweight models that are easy to use and maneuver. Their design allows them to clean in tight spaces, but they have less suction power than upright vacuums.
Are Cordless Vacuums Worth It?
Yes. Cordless vacuums are more maneuverable than corded vacuums because they are not limited to power sockets or cord length. Plus, they are lightweight and portable, and their cord-free design prevents accidental falls from tangled cords.
Which is the Best Cordless Vacuum?
The Dyson V15 Detect vacuum is the best cordless vacuum in terms of suction power, versatility, flexibility, and long battery life. If you are looking for a cheaper Dyson cordless vacuum alternative, grab the Black + Decker Power Series+ Stick Vacuum.
How Long Should a Cordless Vacuum Last?
On average, cordless vacuums last 3 to 5 years. According to Vacuum Tester, a cordless vacuum’s lifespan is influenced by its brand, applications, and maintenance routines. Cordless vacuums from well-known brands, like Dyson, can last up to 10 years compared to other brands. Regular maintenance schedules, including emptying the bin, cleaning the filter, and untangling the brush, also extend the vacuum’s life.
Corded vs. Cordless Vacuums: Which is Better?
Corded vacuums are perfect for users with multiple floor surfaces needing stronger suction. Meanwhile, cordless vacuums are suitable for people looking for a convenient and more maneuverable cleaning option.
Do I Need Accessories to Use with a Cordless Vacuum?
Yes, it would be best to use cordless vacuum accessories, because they promote cleaning flexibility. For instance, a crevice tool sucks dirt from cracks, corners, and hard-to-reach spots, while soft brushes clean hard floors.
Invest in a cordless vacuum cleaner for a cleaner home. These lightweight vacuums clean multiple places, including floors, upholstery, stairs, corners, cars, ceilings, and more. Plus, their cordless design is easily portable and much safer than their corded counterparts.
Consider a cordless vacuum’s cleaning ability, battery life, and flexibility when buying. Ensure that it is perfect for your flooring type and can clean your rooms before the battery depletes. If you haven’t settled on any cordless vacuum, get the versatile Dyson V15 Detect Vacuum.
Sources: Gadget Review, Vacuum Tester.